Summer Recap

Posted: September 13, 2014 in Cycling, Diet, Family, Fitness, Health, Lifestyle, Multiple Sclerosis, Paleo, Triathlon, Uncategorized

So I wasn’t very good at keeping up with my blog this summer so I will lay it all out now.  In the last post I wrote about my first triathlon of the year.  Well after doing that one and placing fairly well the Tri bug bit me pretty good.  My achilles was still bothering me but I was able to race, recover, and then train lightly and do it again.  a few weeks after the Tri For a Cause Triathlon my self and two friends went to Duluth and did the “Brewhouse Triathlon” as a team for the fun of it.  Dave swam, I biked, and Kirk ran.  We all did very well in our events and we took first place in the team division by 13 minutes.  It was a very well organized and well attended event that I think will be on my roster for next season as an individual.  After the race we went down to Lake Superior and met up with a few more friends and rode the North Shore from Duluth to Two Harbors, had lunch and then rode back.  For any of you who live in Minnesota that is a very cool ride.

Lunch stop with the crew in Two harbors

Lunch stop with the crew in Two harbors




The next weekend I did the “Northwoods Triathlon” in Nevis Minnesota.  This was another well run and well attended Triathlon.  It is strange because Nevis is a small little town in northern Minnesota yet the registration for this event fills up in 30 minutes.  I had some high hopes for this race but my body just wasn’t there.  I don’t know if I was getting sick, over tired, not prepared or what, but I struggled through every event.  My swim time was about average (1:42’s) but I felt especially tired coming out of the water.  I jogged slowly up the hill to the transition area and just tried to regain myself.  I got on the bike and off we went.  The road had been repaved the week before so it was a super nice ride.  I averaged 23.3 on the bike but once again was exhausted when I came into the transition area.  I got off my bike and slowly got my running shoes on.  I started to run but my heart rate was at like 185 and I could not calm my breathing down.  I did my best to just keep moving hoping that my legs, breathing, and heart rate would come around.  They never did.  I had to stop and walk for 5-10 seconds four times in the first mile.  I eventually got a little better but by that time I had been passed by a lot of people.  My run splits were 8:06 minute miles.  Due to a good bike ride (I was in third overall off of the bike and in first place for my age group off of the bike) I was able to hold on to a 3rd place finish for my age group and 21st overall.  I still don’t know why I felt so crappy that day but that’s part of the sport.  If you want to win, you have to be healthy.

Two weeks after the Northwoods Triathlon I had my final race of the season “Lakes Country Triathlon” and it was in my home town.  And to top it off my cousin’s wedding was the night before so I had a bunch of family in town so I really wanted to perform well at this race.  2 weeks prior to the race I trained really hard and then tapered the week leading into the race.  I watched my food intake carefully and was able to stay healthy,  but it was difficult with family events every night and a wedding the night before a race.  It may have been blessing in disguise but our baby sitter got sick before the wedding ceremonies so we had to leave the wedding at 8 o’clock to put the twins to sleep.  Probably a good thing for me as well!  I woke up at 5 AM on sunday to severe thunderstorms.  I checked the radar and it looked as though it would be passed by the time the race started.  I hopped in the car and picked up my sister who was in town for the wedding and was racing (her first ever triathlon) as well.  We headed into town, stopped and got some coffees at Starbucks and headed to the race.  It was still raining when we got there so we sat in the car for a while and I tried to talk my sister through the race.  She was nervous and was hoping for a storm cancelation.  Soon my Cousin Ian who was also racing showed up and we all went to the transition area and got set up.  I did my usual pre race routine and went for a bike, run and then a swim.  I was feeling pretty good.  We lined up on the beach and the gun went off!!  The swim went well, nothing crazy and uneventful.  I swam 1:37’s and came out of the water feeling good.  I raced through the transition and was off on my bike.  Oh, I forgot to mention that my garmin computer was dead that morning so I had no idea what my pace or heart rate was during the race.  I was just racing off of how I felt.  On the bike I felt really good but was thinking about the run at the Northwoods Triathlon and decided that I wasn’t going to push too hard.  I still rode hard I just didn’t push quite so hard into the wind or up the hills.  I finished the bike with a 24.2 mph average and was feeling great.  I knew at this point I was close to the leader.  I had a quick transition and was off on the run.  The first mile is always hard but I kept on running. I usually don’t stop at the water stops but today I decided that I would.  At both water stops I took one sip of water and dumped the rest on my head.  I kept looking back waiting for the pack to catch me but there was never anyone there.  As I said I didn’t have my Garmin so I had no idea what pace I was running.  I did however know the course so I knew how far I had gone and how far I had to go.  About a 1/2 mile from the finish line I got passed by another racer.  He was moving along pretty good and I new that I wasn’t going to hold him off.  I finished the run with a 7:14 minute mile pace.  I got 6th place overall and 1st in my age group.  I had a lot of personal bests in this race and having a lot of family members cheering me on at the finish line was awesome.  And even more awesome was when my 3 year old twins came running at me at the finish line to give me a hug.

My Cousin, Sister, and Myself after the race

My Cousin, Sister, and Myself after the race

That was a good way to end the race season.  I am really excited for next year and look forward to getting in better shape and healthier over the winter.  I am going to take some time off this fall though and hopefully let my achilles get better.  I also have a bakers cyst forming on the back of my knee again so that too will need some rest as well.  All in all it was a good first season of racing.  I had to miss a few races at the beginning of the season due to injury and I didn’t get to train as hard as I would have liked to but I learned a lot about staying healthy and injury free, I learned about racing and where to push hard and where to save some, I got over my fear of swimming in a pack, and I learned how to do transitions well.  I am really looking forward to the next season and seeing how much I can improve.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s